join the CPM crew
Corner Post Meats - Multi-Species Ranch in Black Forest, Colorado
Assistant Livestock Manager (posted December 2018)
Corner Post Meats (CPM) offers artisan meats created from a unique and unconventional combination of intensively managed grazing, clean water, open spaces, and plenty of sunshine. All operations for our pasture-based, multi-species production and meats distribution business is currently based out of a 1,500-acre ranch in Black Forest, CO. Located between Colorado Springs and Denver, the ranch is equally remote and convenient to civilization. CPM covers the entire “ranch to consumer” process from pasture-to-plate direct to the public and restaurants. We currently raise, market and distribute grass-finished beef and lamb as well as pasture raised pork, chicken, and turkey.
We have an exciting new opportunity available as:
Assistant Livestock Manager
First and foremost, we need someone that is ready to learn to “Ride for The Corner Post Brand,” and learn to fill a leadership role working alongside a small livestock production team. Prior experience in agriculture is second to the ability to learn the Corner Post way of ranching. The job will involve overseeing that the CPM’s livestock production systems and processes are being implemented. All positions at CPM can be very demanding but rewarding jobs with a variety of responsibilities. The Assistant Livestock Manager position requires a strong desire to learn and grow with the real-world challenges of a “Pasture to Plate” company.
As Assistant Livestock Manager, you will become responsible for the following:
1. Lead a Small Crew
Work day-to-day with a small team, taking the lead role in achieving daily chores and weekly animal moves. This will require the following:
A. A great attitude with patience to teach and empower others.
B. Open and clear communicator
C. In addition to a small full-time team the Asst. Livestock Mgr. will lead apprentices which are brought on seasonally.
2. Oversee Day-To-Day Livestock & Ranch Needs
Assume responsibility for day-to-day coordination of all aspects of livestock production and maintenance of ranch infrastructure which require skills in the following:
A. Understand the need for a systemized work environment and be able thrive within that type of job framework
B. Observation of his/her surroundings and everyday activities
C. Strong problem-solving skills
D. Ability to multitask and learn new things quickly
F. Monitoring feed consumption and livestock needs
3. Coordinate with S.M.D. Team
Coordination with Sales, Marketing and Distribution (SMD) crew on multiple aspects regarding weight gains, timeline for when livestock are ready to harvest, live animal inventory and more.
4. Host Visitors at the Ranch
Host visitors at the ranch for tours, farm-to-table dinners, workshops and events. Events are a team effort. Sharing CPM with visitors for a variety of events should be a welcome interaction. This is a small part of the position, but an important part of what we do.
- One day off per week, additional half day off when livestock responsibilities are met
- 8-9 hour work day, occasionally 11 hour days
- After six months with CPM, you will have earned one-week paid vacation and one-week unpaid vacation to be used over the next 12 months
- Valid drivers license
- Capable of lifting large, heavy/bulky items up to 75 pounds
- Experience working outdoors on an everyday basis
- Understand that this job entails a large degree of manual labor
Compensation and Benefits:
- Monthly meat stipend
- Discount on CPM meat orders
- Starting salary at $3,000 per month
- Housing NOT included. The ranch is in a semi-rural area with several options to rent housing in the area.
Social drinking and smoking is acceptable, but excessive use that affects your work life is not tolerated and will be grounds for immediate dismissal.
If you read through this and are excited for the opportunity, please follow the instructions for an application below:
- Compile and email your resume and answers to questions below.
- Send your resume and answers to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and job title as the subject.
- Qualified candidates will be asked to visit the ranch at their own expense for a three-day working interview in order to see if the job is a good fit for both yourself and CPM.
Provide answers to the following questions -
1. Tell us about an interest that you are committed to being great at.
2. Life hardly ever goes as we plan...however, if you traveled in time 5 years where do you think you would find yourself and why?
3. What didn’t you get to include on your resume?
4. How would you prioritize the following and why: Company, Self, Team.
5. What do you think is true that no one else seems to agree with?
6. What would make working at Corner Post Meats become the career you have always wanted?
7. Please tell us about your previous experience leading a team of people and how/why you see a leadership role with Corner Post Meats as a fit for you.
Thank you for the interest in joining our team.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Corner Post Meats