guest blogger Anna Rienstra
@annacestral_health on Instagram
Be sure to follow Anna on Instagram. She is a certified personal trainer and nutritional therapy practitioner. Her Instagram account features information on an evolved approach to ancestral health and fantastic recipes.
Try her healthy recipe for Garlic Herb 'Fried' Chicken
3/4 cup cassava flour (link to purchase)
1/2 cup ground/dried unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
4 tablespoons Herbs de Provence (or dried herbs of choice)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup shortening (I use a creamy blend of red palm oil & coconut oil by Nutiva)
3 raw egg yolks (separated from the whites)
1 raw Corner Post Whole Pastured Chicken (dismembered)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; make sure the rack is centered in oven.
2. Melt shortening until liquefied; beat the egg yolks into the shortening.
3. Lay the chicken pieces out on a baking sheet, preferably with a cooling rack on top of the baking sheet for the chicken to rest on.
4. In large bowl mix all dry ingredients; be sure to mix thoroughly.
5. Dip pieces of chicken into shortening/egg mixture allowing the excess shortening/egg to drip back into the bowl.
6. Immediately take the same piece of chicken and place it into the flour/herb mixture; cover the chicken completely in the dry mixture.
7. Put the piece of chicken back on the baking sheet (or baking sheet with the cooling rack on top).
8. Repeat steps 5 through 7 for the remaining pieces of chicken.
9. Place chicken in oven for 40-50 minutes; check the chicken using a meat thermometer - making sure it’s 165 degrees F internally. The chicken will need more or less time depending on the size of the bird.
Be sure to print this recipe for your collection and post to social media using the Corner Post Meats tag. Enjoy!